21 January 2009

Give My Regards to Broadway

Ya baby! Saw a Broadway play yesterday after orientation where I meet a bunch of awesome Friends Worlder peeps. The show was In the Heights, which apparently won best Broadway Show last year. It was an interesting story, and the set was really well done. And we get to go see it again since the website had the wrong times and about 40 people were late. So ya!

Times Square last night was really, really cool. It's so bright and flashy. I have to say that all the billboards and advertisements are more for asthetic. Seeing a 100foot Bud Lite does not make me want to drink a Bud Lite. And the 10foot Yahoo! sign does not want to make me use Yahoo! But it's all about flashy lights and the reputed atmosphere of Times Square. I wish I could have been there for the inauguration. We watched it in the student lounge. It's strange to think that most of my academic years have been reigned over by Bush. And now most of my post-academic years will be a completely new rule. A better one. Wooo Obama! Obamarama!

I really like Brooklyn so far. Our apartment is really great, it's a cute nook in the wall. The floors are creaky, everything is slightly slanted. The kitchen is tucked under the stairs. It's very bohemian. I can hear our neighbors either behind us or above us watching TV all the time, and their cig/pot smoke drifts through my vent. Our landlord Glenn is really nice, too. But it's weird that he wants rent in cash...

I really like the center staff, and I think my classes are going to be fun. My African Lit professor is smart, obviously, but I can't really tell if he's all that into teaching us, cause he rolls his eyes a lot. I like my advisor and senior thesis teacher. I have to pick a thesis topic still, and get my internship set up. I was really hoping I could get a part time job this semester just to have some pocket change, but I don't think that's going to be a reality. I have enough to get me through the semester, pay for rent and groceries and have some leeway with fun stuff, but I'd like to have a little bit coming in.

I was going to post video of my Japan dorm and center, but I can't find the cord to my camera... so those will be up soon, and also of NY!

No comments:

Post a Comment